Foreword and summary
General practice is the bedrock of the NHS, and the NHS relies on it to survive and thrive. This agreement between NHS England and the BMA General Practitioners Committee (GPC) in England, and supported by Government, translates commitments in The NHS Long Term Plan1 into a five-year framework for the GP services contract. We confirm the direction for primary care for the next ten years and seek to meet the reasonable aspirations of the profession. In our discussions we shared
five main goals:
• secure and guarantee the necessary extra investment;
• make practical changes to help solve the big challenges facing general practice, not least workforce and workload;
• deliver the expansion in services and improvements in care quality and outcomes set out in The NHS Long Term Plan, phased over a realistic timeframe;
• ensure and show value for money for taxpayers and the rest of the NHS, bearing in mind the scale of investment;
• get better at developing, testing and costing future potential changes before rolling them out nationwide.